Friday 20 November 2015

Out on a Limb

Nora began the second Tai-Chi class at Headway East London by saying that this week there would be less talking and more action. I'm not sure ACTION was the best word for the level of tai-chi we are at, but you can see where she's coming from.

We revisited the moves we had been introduced to in the first session, but Nora added some seemingly small additions. This, I have come to realise, is very much the tai-chi way, to build very slowly but deliberately. The ball thing is still an enigma wrapped in a mystery for me, but by 'shrinking the size of the ball' to something like the proportions of a tennis ball, I think I might have found a way forward. I even found myself cautiously handling an imaginary sphere during the ad break in Midsomer Murders. Thank goodness I was safely hidden indoors because I must have looked like a right weirdo.

The weight-shifting from one foot to the other in the standing position also progressed to include lifting the heel of the resting foot. This tests the strength and balance in both legs and increases your awareness of any limitations. Nora described this action as floating, but for me it was more of a spring in the step. 

These additions to what we had already learned further established the idea that practising ta-chi is for life and not just for the duration of a short programme. For me it has multiple advantages. Unless I can make exercise a routine and a habit, it is something that becomes all to easy to neglect. In this sense, tai chi  is a good fit because already I actually ENJOY doing the moves. This might have something to do with their simplicity, but who cares? Simple is OK by me. And if I enjoy doing something (writing and drawing, too), I am more likely to continue. As that man says in the film Casablanca, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment